Thursday, January 5, 2023

Brian Schwalb Sworn in as D.C. Attorney General (1/5/23)

I previously blogged that DOJ Tax Alum Brian Schwalb had been elected D.C. Attorney General.  Brian Schwalb Elected D.C. Attorney General (11/12/22), here.  On January 2, 2023, Brian was sworn in as DC Attorney General.  See Press Release here.  \

The Press Release has this on his DOJ Tax stint:  “After graduating from Duke University and Harvard Law School, and completing a two-year judicial clerkship, Brian served as a trial attorney in the Tax Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.”

Another item in the press release caught my attention (bold face supplied by JAT):

“As I reflect on how we find answers to these questions of equity, safety and democracy, I think about advice my father gave me. Today – January 2nd – would have been my dad’s 87th birthday. When he left the Justice Department in 1965, many of the law firms in Washington wouldn’t consider hiring him because he was Jewish. I can only imagine how he’d feel seeing his son standing on this stage taking the oath of office as D.C.’s Attorney General. Dad’s advice to me was simple: God gives us two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you talk. As your independently-elected Attorney General, I will listen to everyone. I will collaborate with anyone who is committed to what is best for the District. But I will be beholden to no one – no one other than the residents who have retained me to represent Washington’s best interests.”

So, I wondered whether his dad was a DOJ Tax Alum.  I checked my database of DOJ Tax alums and found that indeed his dad was a DOJ Tax Alum.  I have “Burton A. Schwalb” listed as a trial attorney in Refund 3 from 1960 to 1965.  At the time he was entered in the database, he was listed as with Schwalb, Donnenfeld, Bray & Silbert, a firm that ceased to exist in 1990s.  My database shows that two of the other name partners in that firm -- Jack Bray and Earl Silbert -- were also DOJ Tax Alumni.  I could not determine whether Donnenfeld was a DOJ Tax Alum, but given that three of the four name partners were, that is a possibility.

As an aside, old-timers (like me) may remember Earl Silbert who burst into the national scene after his DOJ Tax stint as the D.C. U.S. Attorney prosecutor in the initial Watergate investigation. I met Earl Silbert while I was with DOJ Tax Appellate.  By then, Earl was down the hall working for some other DOJ function, I think perhaps Office of Legal Counsel.  Earl was working with Carl Rauh (not a DOJ Tax Alum) who became Principal Assistant to Earl as D.C. U.S. Attorney and thereafter a partner in law practice. My recollection is that Earl and Carl were working on D.C.'s "no-knock" legislation when I met them.  See Earl's oral history here.  While I don't remember the exact content of my discussions with them, I do recall generally that they were both very smart, dedicated, and really class people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments are being moderated by Jack Townsend and require his approval before they may be viewed by visitors to the Blog. Jack checks regularly to review the pending comments.